Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Generation Gap

A conversation I had at church with Carissa was revealing about one of ther generational gaps between my children and myself:
Carissa: Where is Lily?
Mom: She is at home sick.
Carissa: What does she have?
Mom: Chichken Pox.
Carissa (incredulous): I didn't know they were real!

So that vaccine that was brand new during Aaron's babyhood has created a new generational divide. When making the decision to immunize, I thought it was a little silly to have an immunization for the illness, but decided that since my children were going to be poked anyway, I might as well spare them and itchy week. And now those of my generation will be looked at the same way we look at older generations that had measle.

And by the way-the vaccine requires a boosted shot! Lily is a 12 year old that was immunized as a baby and had not gone in for her booster yet.

No comments: