Fist of all, you must know that I have a very difficult time allowing my kids to do certain tacks by themselves, in particular, cooking. If I'm in the kitchen with them, I pretty much take over and 10% through the preparation process. It is just SO difficult for me to watch them bumble about inefficiently, taken exponentially longer to get tasks done than they take me. So, I've decided that in order for them to learn to cook, I need to hand them a recipe, and basically walk away (or better yet, like this week, drive away taking other kids to after school activities). I am trying to let each of the four oldest kids have a night to make dinner each week. They have cooked dinner occasionally before, but as I said earlier, I'm to quick to jump in and help/take over.
Aaron made Monday's dinner this week. He made chili with corn bread. The chili had a whole bunch of hard, black chunks in it. At first I thought that he had just burned the ground beef, and told everyone to just move the burnt items to the side of their plates. Aside from that, it was a delicious dinner. When it was time to clean up and wash dishes, I discovered the true source of the black chunks. My spatula was missing the bottom 1/5th of it's edge.
Carissa made Wednesday's dinner. The rice was mush! She cooked it in the microwave, just like I told her, but instead of cooking 2 1/2 cups rice in 5 cups of water, she decided that she wanted more rice, so she tries 3 1/2 cups rice to 7 cups water. Her adjustments far exceed the capacity of our microwave bowl, so well, I'm not sure why it turned to mush, but it did. Her chicken gravy was also way to thin.
Oh adventures! Two more kids to go this week. Maybe it's a good thing I'm a picky eater. I still have 10 pounds to lose, and maybe their cooking will tip the balance in favor of smaller meals.
No comments:
Post a Comment